Tuesday, August 20, 2013

School has started!

The first day of school has come and gone.  Children are nestled in their desks and chairs and the teachers have them busy learning.  How do I know this?

Teachers have their learning targets posted, and when asked, students are able to tell me what they are learning.



Teachers are giving students more opportunities to be creative.  Instead of worksheets on their desks, there are clean sheets of white paper.  When I come to a classroom, I talk to the students about their writing or drawings.  Students have much to say about their own creations.



Work is posted outside the door with the learning targets indicated by the work.  When I ask students to tell me about the process or the learning target, they are able to articulate what they did and why.


We are very busy teaching our PBIS expectations to our students.  Our first graders know these well and are doing a nice job being good role models for our kindergarten students.  Our kindergarteners know KHFAAOOTY (Keep Hands, Feet and All Other Objects To Yourself) but actually implementing it is a bit more difficult.  The concept of KHFAAOOTY is easy to understand, difficult to do. 

As I walk through the halls of our school, I am very mindful that some of our students have only had six days of school.  When you look at it that way, we have made much progress.